The Government provides academies and schools with additional funding to help reduce inequalities and gaps in attainment between those students who are on free school meals (FSM) and their peers.
This funding is called the Pupil Premium.
Details of how we plan to allocate our pupil premium and the impact it has previously made can be found in the documents on the left side of this page.
Every academy and school can select how they choose to use their Pupil Premium allocation, as they are best placed to assess what additional provision should be made for students. Every school needs to be held accountable for how this money is spent, which is why we make details of how it is used available on our website.
The purpose of Pupil Premium
- The Pupil Premium is allocated to children from low-income families who are currently known to be eligible for free school meals and allocated to a school as a proportion of any children who have been receiving FSM in the previous 6 years.
- The Pupil Premium recently increased to £900 and has been extended to children who have been eligible for free school meals at any time in the last 6 years.
Pupil Premium focus and impact at Kings Heath Primary Academy
- The Pupil Premium funding that is received by Kings Heath Primary Academy is used in a variety of ways in order to improve pupil attainment and to help overcome any barriers to learning. This extra money is specifically targeted for the most disadvantaged children.
- Closing the gap, with qualified teachers lessons have been timetabled to allow individual tutoring for vulnerable groups. This allows us to give every child the chance to go as far as their abilities and effort can carry them and close the gap between our poorer pupils and everyone else.
- Our Support for Learning team includes two Learning Mentors; they take disengaged or disruptive children out of class when they switch off or play up, they also work directly with children who don’t have English as a first language and need extra help with reading and writing.
A Learning Mentor can provide a bridge across academic and pastoral support roles. This will involve dealing with all of those who make up the learning partnership, including parents, as the role is typically about forming a relationship with the pupil, school staff and parents or carers in order to improve the pupil’s achievement.
The work of a Learning Mentor usually takes the form of regular one to one and group sessions with pupils identified as requiring help, during which time the Learning Mentor and the pupil will identify agreed targets and strategies (related to, for example, work, attendance, behaviour, relationships and learning). However, the role is flexible and may also include other duties related to improving the achievement of identified pupils such as observations, supporting at breakfast and after school clubs, supporting during break and lunchtimes and providing information for other staff.
- Some of the PPG is used for Educational visits to places like museums, which allows the sort of experience middle class children take for granted but poorer child might rarely enjoy.
- Physical support
The school works in partnership with Back of the Net (football coach) and Yoga Imps and all children are timetabled for a few hours of physical activity a week.
Information about the pupil premium impact for 2015-16 and planned spend for 2016-17 is available to download from the left hand side of this page.
Sports Premium Funding
The government is spending over £450 million on improving physical education and sport in primary schools.
Schools can choose how they use the funding to best improve their sports provision, sport participation and attainment. Information about the sports premium impact for 2015-16 and planned spend for 2016-17 is available to download below.
- Kings Heath Pupil Premium Plan 2017 18
- Kings Heath Pupil Premium Plan 2018 19
- Kings Heath Pupil Premium Plan 2019 20
- Kings Heath Pupil Premium Policy
- Kings Heath Pupil Premium Policy 2020 21
- Kings Heath Sports Premium Plan 2017 18
- Kings Heath Sports Premium Plan 2018 19
- Kings Heath Sports Premium Plan 2019 20